Friday, October 24, 2008

Week 1 Observation

On Wednesday,October 22, I made my week 1 observation. My microaquarium consist of type 10 water sample from Fountain City Park west of Broadway at Hotel ave. and both Plant A and Plant B were added. Plant A is Amblystegium and Plant B is a carnivous plant called Utricularia vulgaris L. From my observation, I found about 5-6 cyclops swimming around on the middle and bottom part of the aquarium. Their body is clear and the organs are visible. Several green algaes were also found under the microscope. Most of them are green and about 1-2 are yellow. Green algaes are stationary. A couple of stoneflies were swimming very fast in the aquarium and were hard to focus on them under the microscope. There were about 5-6 shelled rotifer crawling along the plants. I found about 3 diatoms swimming slowly around the aquarium. Several dots spread through out the aquarium that look like bubbles were identified as bacterias. There were about 5-6 bubbles formed around Plant B. Organisms in the aquarium including cyclops, stoneflies, and shelled rotifer seemed to be consuming off algaes. Most of the bugs in the aquarium have clear body and organs. I watched several of them consumed a piece of algae and digest it through their visible organs. The red worm from last week's observation had disappeared. I assume it is dead and consumed by other organisms in the aquarium.

List of organisms found:
Cyclops - 5-6
Green Algaes - Several
Stoneflies - 2
Shelled rotifers - 5-6
Diatoms - 3

Below is a picture of diatoms.

No comments: